At the time of admission or advancement, a Member shall have the equivalent of twelve (12) Society-approved years of experience composed of an approved combination of: (1) completed education beyond high school; (2) work experience; and (3) professional engineering or related registration or license issued by a legally authorized body.
All technical and scientific education shall be based on curricula approved by the Board of Directors. Approved engineering curricula shall be equivalent to that accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology or approved by the Board of Directors. Each year of completed education for graduates of such approved curricula shall receive 1 1/2 years' credit toward the twelve- (12) years required. Each year of approved education for non-graduates of such approved curricula who complete at lease two years, and graduates of technical schools not so approved shall receive one year's credit for each academic year completed.
One year for each year of qualifying work experience in the performance of duties in work related to ASHRAE fields as verified by the applicant's reference, and shall have included research, teaching, design, contracting, engineering sales, or engineering management.
Qualifying Work Experience
The following defines qualifying work experience in ASHRAE-related fields:
- Research -- must have demonstrated competence in independent and original research in ASHRAE-related fields of an engineering or scientific nature which has been published.
- Teaching -- Assistant Professor or higher in an engineering or scientific discipline in ASHRAE-related fields.
- Design -- responsible for engineering or scientific design including calculations, system and equipment selection and layout, and performance.
- Contracting -- Responsible for the installation, start-up and operation of heating, refrigeration, air-conditioning, ventilating and allied systems. Must demonstrate capability of initiating or evaluating the effect of engineering or scientific design changes of any type on the performance of the system.
- Engineering Sales -- Must be responsible for assistance to system designers in the engineering, equipment selection and application of components of heating, refrigeration, air-conditioning, ventilation and allied systems.
- Engineering Management -- Must be directly responsible for and involved in the management of technical, scientific and engineering phases of the company.
- Professional Registration - A professional REGISTRATION license issued by a legally authorized body IN ENGINEERING OR RELATED FIELDS whose requirements as to education and active practice are considered satisfactory and adequate by the Board of Directors shall entitle the applicant to three (3) Society-accredited years toward the twelve (12) required. To be considered satisfactory and adequate, professional registration or license must be in a field directly related to fulfillment of society objectives.